Friday, August 17, 2007

Catch Up

Oh dear!! I have slipped a bit. My good intentions of keeping my Blog up to date have fallen in a bit of a hole. I must get myself organised, particularly as my friends are starting to get themselves these magnificent blogs with all manner of fancy technological (what a great word!! - I love words) stuff that I just cannot work out.

My excuse is work pressure!! Well, I have to have an excuse!!

As many of you know, we have a number of new arrival students in our school - kids who have come directly from another country - in our case Vietnam. Lovely kids and they are really having an impact on our little closed community in the Adelaide Hills.

Last week we had a visit from the Lieutenant Governor of South Australia - a really important person in the life of our little country school. He was Mr Hieu Van Le. Mr Van Le came to Australia in 1977 as a boat person. He landed in Darwin, a refugee from Vietnam. A week later he was flown to Adelaide - all he owned were the clothes he was dressed in - T-shirt, shorts and thongs!! The next day he had a job in a factory. Today he is the Lieutenant Governor of South Australia - and a very impressive man.

He spoke to our Vietnamese children about his life and how he came to Australia. He impressed upon them the importance of perseverance and to keep trying until they achieved their goals.
Lieu and Nga
Nga and Mr Hieu Van Le



But what really stuck in my mind and it keeps coming back to me over and over. Just five words, but so powerful!! He told them that "Australia allows you to dream". Think about it!! I have - over and over. I just cannot forget those words!

"Australia allows you to dream."

Liz Needle

1 comment:

  1. What an encouragement he must have been to the kids. I like his philosophy on life. We take it for granted here don't we?

    ReplyDelete