Friday, February 22, 2013

Friday's Fences

Yesterday Don and I decided to go for a drive through our local area to look for photos for Friday's Fences. I snapped away happily and will be able to fill my page for a few Fridays to come if nothing better pops up.

The photo below is of the Herbig Family tree, but there is a fence there too. Below there is some official info about this old tree.





The Herbig Family Tree is a large, hollow red gum tree at Springton. It is estimated to be 300 to 500 years old with a diameter of seven metres at its base and a height of 24 metres. A small stream runs nearby.

The tree was the first Australian home of 27 year old Friedrich Herbig who arrived in South Australia in 1855. In 1858 he married 18 year old Caroline Rattey and took her to live in the tree home. The first two of their 16 children were born there. In 1860 he built a two roomed pine and pug hut nearby, and as his family increased, built a stone cottage adjacent to the hut.




Liz Needle


21 comments:

  1. Fascinating! A beautiful old tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, love that tree. Would have liked to be there for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post! Love it!
    Happy SWF to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this is an amazing tree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wonder how the tree can still be living, great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing...I would love to see it.

    RE the building in my first shot....it is a little log cabin and it is part of a pioneer village showing how things were. This is an actual log cabin that was built in the 1830's. It was donated and moved to the village from a few miles away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, my word! that's amazing! thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great story to go with the tree. I was telling someone about visiting a family who lived in their treehouse in New Mexico, and boy did I get some expressions of distaste in their faces. I love being up in trees, not that I have the ability to get there any more, (well, more like the ability to get down.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous tree...thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tree is amazing! The fence in the first photo sure does stand out. :))

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an awesome tree! Thanks for sharing the interesting history.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I forgot to thank you for visiting my wonky fence!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They lived IN the tree! How amazing! But what better shelter could there be if you hadn't built your home yet! Neat! It's a truly beautiful tree too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool tree & story, but I'm stunned at 16 children, oh my goodness! =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, I love the tree! Nice story and I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a fascinating tree! People were living in it? I've never seen a tree like it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in South Australia. Yes and it is probably old for a gum tree.

    ReplyDelete
  18. so cool. i'm trying to recall where we saw a tree that a family lived in. similar to this one ... but let me think. still thinking?!? ha. ha!! have a great weekend. ( :

    ReplyDelete