Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Photo a Day 20 - Pets

Sorting through old family photos and I was struck with how many pets we have had over the years, so I think I will do a series of photos of some of our favourites.


I love this photo of my eldest daughter Jo and Lady.


Strictly speaking Lady was not one of our pets. She belonged to my aunt and her family, but Don and I moved to Darwin in the early 60s. It was our first time away from our families - and so far away.

My Auntie Ida had married a Darwin lad, Paddy Hickey  and moved to Darwin some years before and when we arrived, the Hickey family took us into their hearts and they became our second family. Jo was their first grand child in a way and she was very much loved and indulged.

I have included Lady in our pets as it was she who started Jo's love affair with animals in general and dogs in particular.




Among the many pets we have had - largely due to Jo, have been numerous dogs, cats,  guinea pigs, rabbits, sheep, goats, horses, donkeys, mice, chooks, geese, ducks, quail, peacocks, guinea fowl, turkeys, kangaroos, emus, dingoes, budgies, cockatoos, galahs, magpies and finches.

I think that about covers it.

Liz Needle














1 comment: